Sunday 15 November 2015

Does your Passion seem distant or out of reach?


We have attributed Passion to be the thing to reach out for when searching for our career and life's work. Every time I hear someone say "All you have to do is follow your passion and everything will be fine", I pause, take a pen and a paper and write down a few things am passionate about. After that I go through it and realize am passionate about quite a number of things and this leaves me more confused than I was. I have wanted to be so many things at different stages in my life. The first thing I ever wanted to be was a News Caster because, I read morning news through out my primary school days and I was so good at memorizing and presenting stuff, as a teenager I wanted to be an actress and after that a lawyer, but after my dream of being a lawyer was killed, I gave up and settled for what ever was in front of me. Am going to stop her because this topic is not about me, but am just trying to emphasize on the fact that things we want to be changes from time to time, especially when you haven't made up your mind on exactly what you want to do or "What your passionate about". Everybody says follow your passion, which makes sense if you know exactly what it is. But the reality is most people don't know what they are passionate about, some have multiple passion and some are going through a mid life change of passion. Being passionate is great and it helps us enjoy what we do, but it doesn't enhance creativity or help you discover yourself. Passion doesn't create a new movie, a new song, a new book, a new idea, a new recipe, Curiosity does.


"Curiosity is the engine of achievement" - Ken Robinson

Curiosity they say kills the cat but I say curiosity is the mother of all invention.Your curious when you want to know a lot of things about a particular thing. Curiosity is when you become a scavenger about something your interested in. I once read a book by Elizabeth Gilbert and how she followed her Curiosity about Gardening. Curiosity lead her to want to know more about the origin of the flowers she planted and she dogged deeper and deeper and it inspired her to write a novel The Signature of All Things. When your passion has bailed on you, curiosity is your best bet. Think of something you have even the smallest interest about and become a scavenger for any information you can lay your hands on about it. Sometimes it may lead you to something your passionate about, or it may not, but at least you get to learn something new. Curiosity has lead to some of the most amazing inventions, careers and ideas . Curiosity can lead you to amazing unexpected places. Follow your Passion if you have one, if not follow your Curiosity and trust it.

No comments:

Post a Comment